Reminder: To be eligible to run, you must be a member in good standing at least one year. If you joined through New Organizing the one year is waived. Members in good standing have signed a card, paid their first month dues, and do not have any delinquent dues or fees.
Steps to run for an Executive Board position
In the event of a vacancy on the Executive Board outside of our normal election cycle, the following process is used to fill the position.
- Initial notification: The organizer will notify the union’s Election Chair that there will be a chapter-lever election. The Election Chair will verify that there is an open position and will note the date the Notice of Vacancy will be posted.
- Notice of Vacancy: A printable Notice of Vacancy will be provided to the organizing team. The notice must be posted on all in-house bulletin boards around the workplace. The Vacancy Notice should be posted for 30 days and a deadline for petition submission must be on the notice giving a date, time and location for the deadline.
- Requesting Nomination Petition: Interested members must complete the Executive Board Nomination Request form below. Skip to form.
- Obtaining Nominating Petition: Within 48 hours of the request the following items will be emailed to the address entered on the form and to the organizing team for the chapter.
- Custom printable petition (PDF): Must be distributed by member or organizer on non-paid time, all fields must be completed for petition to be valid. Printable petition sample.
- A custom link to the online petition: The online petition link is for the candidate and their campaign team to distribute and collect signatures. The union does not distribute this petition.
- A tracking spreadsheet: To help you keep track of online petition signatures, we will provide a shared spreadsheet that updates as signatures are collected.
Executive Board Nomination Request
- Members must get at least 10% of members in good standing in their chapter signed onto the petition to be eligible to run. Candidate and campaign must track their own petitions numbers from paper online petitions. Online petition signatures can be tracked by accessing the spreadsheet provided.
- No signatures will be verified until the nomination period is over.
- If there is only one candidate per position posted, there will not be an election. This candidate will be sworn in at the next Executive Board meeting.
- If there is a contested election, a secret ballot election will be held as per our standard election procedures.